Re: Designer/2000 & Developer/2000

From: Don Lamb/Computer Services <dlamb_at_adm.sps.lane.edu>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 17:16:56 GMT

Hello fellow netters...

I've been following the news about the Designer/Developer 2000 products closely and like what I've heard so far, except for one thing. I read another article about the products in the March 27 issue of Information Week. It says basically the same as all the other articles except that it mentions that even though there will be no run-time fees for Windows applications, there will be a $180 run-time fee for the Mac and Motif versions. What gives here ? The school district where I work is 75-25 split Mac-Windows and I feel I'm being shafted. We are more heavily Mac because of the education market and the apps, and because I really have no say in the matter. But we are heavily invested in Oracle and are actively developing in-house apps with the Forms 4.x and Reports 2.x tools. My simple question is this: Why charge a run-time fee only certain platforms ? Is Oracle implying that they are only supporting the Mac & Motif platforms because the have to, and not because they want to ? Thanks in advance to any light that anyone can shed on this matter.

Don Lamb
Systems & Oracle Administrator
Springfield Public Schools
Springfield, Oregon Received on Wed Mar 22 1995 - 18:16:56 CET

Original text of this message