Re: Oracle7 on Novell 3.12 accessed by Powerbuilder 4.0 - Please help!!

From: Vito Kwan <vkwan_at_news.dorsai.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 01:30:10 GMT

Steve Liberty (sliberty_at_cnj.digex.net) wrote:

: In article <579862958wnr_at_dcta.demon.co.uk>, s075_at_dcta.demon.co.uk (Andrew J Davis) says:

: >
: >I'd be v.grateful if anybody could help with the following system I'm
: >involved with:
: >
: >At the moment PB 4.0 on 486 33 MHz client pc. 8 MB memory. WAtcom
: >database.
: >
: >Next month : Watcom moves to Novell 3.12 Oracle7 database.
: >486 50 MHz server. 24 MB memory. 1.5 GB Raid storage. 8 main tables in
: >entity diagram. Roughly 50,000 records in each table. 3 table joins on
: >average per query. Primarily query access by 5 users (having the same
: >spec. as client PC above, accessing via SQL*Net), 2 of which are linked
: >using an X25 WAN.
: >
: >We need fairly reasonable reporting speed. I've heard Oracle on Novell
: >performs poorly compared to Oracle on NT. With such a low no. of users,
: >are we going to be OK?
: >
: >De we need more client and server memory (we're also running MS Office
: >at the same time off the server), or a faster server chip? Any further
: >recommendations??
: >
: >Any advice would be gratefully received,
: >--
: >Andrew J Davis
: >
: >
: >
: >--
: >Andrew J Davis
: >
: >

I am working on a project almost same as you. Hardware: 10BASE-T Novell environment running NetWare 3.12 with Oracle7. Protocol: SQL*Net SPX/IPX
Front-End: PowerBuilder3.0a

I am the network administraor and Oracle DBA for this project. I can tell you this config. works very well to me.

For more info:
FileServer: 24M of memory, 1G HD
Workstations: 16M, 340 HD

Hope this help you.

Vito Kwan
vkwan_at_dorsai.org

      "I am Sir Oracle, And when I ope my lips, let no dog bark!"

                           -William Shakespeare: _The_Merchant_of_Venice_