Re: PB 4.0 vs Oracle Forms

From: Vincen5158 <vincen5158_at_aol.com>
Date: 21 Mar 1995 23:31:32 -0500

> In article <3k6nfb$21m_at_bruce.uncg.edu> j_doan_at_turing.uncg.edu (John .  Doan) writes:
> >This is urgent.
> >I need more information about why I should choose PB over Forms or vice

> >versa. Please respond soon. Thank you.
I've been playing with Forms 4.5 for a week now, for tight integration with Oracle7 (ie, PL/SQL everywhere and efficient network usage) I think its a good choice. Downside, it takes alot more horsepower to run satisfactorily. For development I would say minimum 486/66 with 16-32 MB RAM and plenty of disk space. For deployment, a 486/66 with 16 MB RAM should give ok performance. My experience with PowerBuilder 3.0 is that you can develop and deploy on a 486/33 with 8 MB RAM. Also PB generates stand alone apps (.exe). Oracle doesnt' generate standalone apps (you run the form under RUNFORM). As far as the toolbar stuff, that the oracle person was writing about, I found PB way of implementing toolbars (via the menu painter) to be much more intuitive than Oracle Forms (which implements it as another block/canvas/view).
There is a lot of trade-offs with either product. At this point our main criteria is integration, network performance and scalablilty. We think that Oracle Forms will meet those objectives better than PB. Received on Wed Mar 22 1995 - 05:31:32 CET

Original text of this message