Re: sql*net/tcp-ip adapter?

From: Richard A. Wark <warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 21 Mar 1995 19:12:48 GMT

> Subject: sql*net/tcp-ip adapter?
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 22:13:55 GMT
> From: maurit_at_world.nad.northrop.com (Mark W. Aurit)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle, comp.soft-sys.powerbuilder,
> comp.client-server

> Ive been running sql*net 1.x, and am in the process of upgrading to
> 2.x. When order our sql*net, we received a copy of the "TCP/IP
> adapter 2.0". The documentation looks exactly like the sql*net
> documentation, but it doesnt say anything about sq*net being renamed
> the tcp/ip adapter.
> Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Hopefully,

   SQL*Net and the ORACLE TCP/IP Adapter for Windows 2.0 are essentially two distinct products. (Although they are usually sold together). The SQL*Net can also come with the IPX/SPX adapter (for Novell). If you have the CD, both sould be included.

   If you have the docs, page 1-7 explains that SQL*Net is a layer 6 (Presentation level) product while the TCP/IP adapter is a layer 5 (Session level) software product on the OSI stack.

   Hope this helps a bit,

Richard A. Wark
Computer Sciences Corp. warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil Brooks AFB, San Antonio, TEXAS