Re: Oracle7 on Novell 3.12 accessed by Powerbuilder 4.0 - Please help!!

From: Steve Liberty <sliberty_at_cnj.digex.net>
Date: 21 Mar 1995 13:09:47 GMT

In article <579862958wnr_at_dcta.demon.co.uk>, s075_at_dcta.demon.co.uk (Andrew J Davis) says:

>I'd be v.grateful if anybody could help with the following system I'm
>involved with:
>
>At the moment PB 4.0 on 486 33 MHz client pc. 8 MB memory. WAtcom
>database.
>
>Next month : Watcom moves to Novell 3.12 Oracle7 database.
>486 50 MHz server. 24 MB memory. 1.5 GB Raid storage. 8 main tables in
>entity diagram. Roughly 50,000 records in each table. 3 table joins on
>average per query. Primarily query access by 5 users (having the same
>spec. as client PC above, accessing via SQL*Net), 2 of which are linked
>using an X25 WAN.
>
>We need fairly reasonable reporting speed. I've heard Oracle on Novell
>performs poorly compared to Oracle on NT. With such a low no. of users,
>are we going to be OK?
>
>De we need more client and server memory (we're also running MS Office
>at the same time off the server), or a faster server chip? Any further
>recommendations??
>
>Any advice would be gratefully received,
>--
>Andrew J Davis
>

>--
>Andrew J Davis

I am going to be converting a development environment similar to your (Oracle on NT) to a production environment, also similar to yours (Oracle on Novell) next month as well. Where had you heard that the performance would stink? I sort of thought it might, due to the non-dedicated nature of the Novell setup, but had not heard anything. Please forward any replies you get about this setup to my email address. Much appreciated,
Steve Received on Tue Mar 21 1995 - 14:09:47 CET

Original text of this message