Re: SQL*NET 2.0

From: Lewis W Kellum <lwk_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 16:18:21 GMT

In article <3kccub$ec_at_testnews.ll.mit.edu>, Thomas L. Hillson <hillson_at_ll.mit.edu> wrote: ... Stuff deleted about how do a Windows client install onto a network disk ...

>>We have been doing essentially the same thing at our site. The problem
>>is that Oracle as well as many Windows apps writes DLL's into the
>>windows directory on the client.
>
> The Oracle installation for SQL*NET V2 only copies the oracle.ini and vsl.ini into the windows
>directory. The rest stay in the Oracle_Home area. We were tired of having to go through the
>Oracle install for each new SQL*Net client so I set it up so that we only have to ftp a self extracting
>archive and unzip it and move 2 files into windows directory and it works correctly.
>

>> ... blah blah blah ...

>Tom Hillson hillson_at_ll.mit.edu
>MIT Lincoln Laboratory
>244 Wood Street Tel: (617) 981 - 4377
>Lexington, MA 02173 FAX: (617) 981 - 0782

I want to do the same kind of install for the MacIntosh. Anybody else done this? Does SQL*Net 2.0 or any of the Oracle applications write to ORACLE_HOME during normal usage? We don't want to have to give users write permissions on the network drive. Thanks

  • Woody Kellum, lwk_at_engin.umich.edu