Re: SQL*Net included with Personal Oracle ?

From: Michael J. Marolda <mmarolda_at_bristol.onramp.net>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 13:17:10 -0600

In article <tcoxD5pD74.8Iy_at_netcom.com>, Thomas B. Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com> wrote:
>Michael J. Marolda <mmarolda_at_bristol.onramp.net> wrote:
>
>>There was no sqlnet in the personal oracle that I downloaded.

>>Mike Marolda - mmarolda_at_onramp.net
>
>Not correct, but a common mis-understanding. InfoWorld magazine made
>the same mistake you did.
>
>"SQL*Net" refers to the little nubbin of code that lets the client
>program talk to the server program. In the case of Personal Oracle7,
>you would be using the "2:" driver, which I believe is the Two Task
>driver. Without SQL*Net, you wouldn't be able to start up Oracle7.

I probably should have been more specific.

I guess it depends on what you mean by SQL*Net. True, Oracle comes with the "nubbin of code that lets the client program talk to the server program." but that is only by choice when they designed their architecture. If, however, you mean the "product" that also includes the network protocol adapters for tcp/ip, etc. then I stand by my words. I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that the original poster wished to communicate with a server on a different machine. If this is the case than the "stuff" (whether it be called sqlnet or whatever) does not come with Personal Oracle.

I guess to summarize:

  1. PO7 Does include the ability to communicate with several servers on the same machine.
  2. PO7 Does Not include the ability to communicate with a server across a network. (A feature found in the "product" SQL*Net)

Also, I havent tried but I suspect:
3) PO7 Does Not include the ability for clients on other platforms to communicate with the PO7 server on your platform (A feature also found in the "product" SQL*Net).

Mike Marolda
mmarolda_at_onramp.net
http://bristol.onramp.net/

p.s. I hope that in your book, you can describe how to use the SQL*Net administrators tool better than Oracle can. I've given up on that and configure all my .ora files by hand. Received on Mon Mar 20 1995 - 20:17:10 CET

Original text of this message