Re: How to "remove" PL/SQL in Personal Oracle because of 8 MB

From: Bruce MacDonald <Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca>
Date: 18 Mar 1995 19:15:37 GMT

In article <3kclos$14o_at_news.xs4all.nl>, deriet_at_xs4all.nl (Marcel Rietveld) says:

>Hi there, can somebody (please please) help me with this problem ?
>
>I've installed personal oracle 7.1. I've got 8 MB RAM so during setup I
>didn't want to install PL/SQL. I think something went wrong because when
>I start the database manager the configuration shows "Windows 7.1
>PL/SQL". What's worse, when Forms 4.0 is active during startup i get an
>out of memory error.
>
>My question: Have I really installed PL/SQL ? If so, how can I "remove
>it" (and why can't I remove it with the installer). If not why does the
>database manager show PL/SQL and why can't I startup the database with Forms
>4.0 active.
>
>Any help would be REALLY appreciated !
>
>Thanx in advance.
>
>BTW, I know it's best to upgrade to 16 MB but for now I'm stuck with 8 MB.
>

>Marcel Rietveld (deriet_at_xs4all.nl)

I would suggest reinstalling as your best option. I doubt you could remove PL/SQL since it is pretty integrated with the rest of Oracle.

You could test to see if you have it installed by trying an anonymous PL/SQL block in SQL/Plus, and see if it compiles.

BTW, I doubt very much if you are going to be able to run Oracle Forms AND the database all in 8MB. Forms designer requires 16MB itself. For the DB, PL/SQL, and Forms to run at once, I would suggest 24MB minimum.

You could try creating a big Windows swap file, but I don't think 8MB is going to be practical.

Bruce MacDonald                                Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca
Database Consultant
Cornerstone Computer Associates Inc.
Chairperson, Vancouver Oracle Users Group Received on Sat Mar 18 1995 - 20:15:37 CET

Original text of this message