Re: Personal Oracle 7 & WIN 95

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 23:43:13

In article <D5L87u.M4E_at_intruder.daytonoh.attgis.com> Jim Ramsey <jim.ramsey_at_daytonoh.attgis.com> writes:
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>From: Jim Ramsey <jim.ramsey_at_daytonoh.attgis.com>
>Subject: Re: Personal Oracle 7 & WIN 95
>Sender: news_at_intruder.daytonoh.attgis.com (News administrative Login)
>Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:59:54 GMT

>==========Rune Olsen, 3/14/95==========
>Hi

>I have tried to install PO7 on a WIN95 system. I only get the message to
>install win32s.
>Have anybody out there managed to install PO7 on WIn95? If so, please tell me
>how.

>Thanks in advance
>Rune Olsen

>I also had the same problem and when I wrote to Oracle got the following
>response:

>:Jim,

>:We do not support Windows 95. Windows 95 is not production software. Any
>:attempt to run Oracle software under Window 95 is done so at your own risk.
>:
>:--Doug Bitting
>: Oracle Worldwide Customer Support
>: Apple Desktop Products Group

>So, I guess we'll either have to dump Win95 or wait for Oracle to get their
>act together!
>Personally, I'd rather keep Win95!! (Sorry, Oracle!)

>---
>Jim Ramsey (513)445-4672
>WorldWide Data Mgmt SDC-2 VP 622-4672
>AT&T GIS
>1611 S Main St
>Dayton OH 45479
Win9X is not even out of Beta. What other programs are out there that explicitly support win9X? None that I know. Yes, there are windows programs that run under win9X, because they run under WFW or Windows 3.x or NT 3.X. However, those applications are not Win9X applications. Thus, I cannot see why one would expect Oracle to deliver a production piece of software on a beta OS platform. Especially since no one else is. MS is not even doing it. You cannot buy Excel that is for Win9X. You will probably be able to purchase Excel for Win9X the same day or real soon after Win9X is an actual production product. Yes, one can buy (I have not been able to find it yet, but supposedly it is available.) a version of Excel that is 32 bit that runs under NT 3.5. That version may or may not run under win9X; but that version is not win9X certified. You cannot release a win9X cetified app until win9X is teleased into production.

I went through the same stuff with version 2 of ODBC. You could get the beta SDK of the version 2 of ODBC, but you could not deploy an app or a driver that met that spec until version 2 of ODBC was actually released into production. You could ship the same day, but not before.

Jim Kennedy Received on Sat Mar 18 1995 - 23:43:13 CET

Original text of this message