Re: Disk striping and tablespaces

From: alison mee <alison_at_amee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 22:44:19 +0000

> on the other). It is also important (if you've got the
> patience) to put the most frequently-accessed material near
> the centre of physical spindles.

re above, I was recently advised by a tutor on a Sequent SVM course (so pretty trustworthy I think) that a technique now in use called 'zoning' makes it almost impossible to do the above. With zoning, there are more sectors in the outside area of the disk, than the inside, so unless you know the zoning algorithms, you cant actually tell where the middle of the disk is. I think that hpc3010s have zoning, and presumably others too ?

Alison Mee
Technical Services Manager ... I dont think we're in Kansas anymore ... European Passenger Services Received on Sat Mar 18 1995 - 23:44:19 CET

Original text of this message