Re: Personal Oracle 7 & WIN 95

From: Michael Stiler <mstiler_at_genmagic.com>
Date: 18 Mar 1995 00:37:46 GMT

rol_at_gorgon.scup.no (Rune Olsen) writes:

>Hi

>I have tried to install PO7 on a WIN95 system. I only get the message to install win32s.
>Have anybody out there managed to install PO7 on WIn95? If so, please tell me how.

>Thanks in advance
>Rune Olsen

Hello Rune --

Personal Oracle7 is designed to be run on Windows 3.1(1) using the WIN32's' api, not on WIN95 using WIN32'c'. There were no plans at Oracle to immediately port PO7 to WIN95 when I was consulting there on regression testing PO7.

Some other 'gotchas': if you expect to do anything remotely useful at all on PO7 you will need *at least* 16 megs-o-ram, you *must* have a permanent swap file setup (preferably large!), you cannot use PO7 on a PC using harddisk compression schemes (stacker, doublespace, etc). You should really have a fast! 486 or better, and remember, PO7 was not designed to be a production database in a corporation (or even a small business), it was designed to allow application designers/programmers to create their masterpieces *OFF* of the expensive iron, and then allow the completed app(s) to be run under the big, expensive stuff.

Also, if you thought you had GPFs' and crashes before, be prepared for lots more, PO7 will **REALLY** give your system a workout! It is one hell of a powerful package for use on a desktop PC. We used 60mhz Compaq pentiums, w/40 megs-o-ram, and 1gig HDs for our testing and we would be lucky if the system ran an hour.

Hope this helps
Mike Stiler

--
Michael D. Stiler  Sysdate() Consulting Services ::internet stiler_at_netcom.com
             NRA LifeMember   AMA LifeMember   AOPA   DAN