Re: Is NT multiuser???

From: Ajey Shahane <ashahane_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 18:55:20 GMT

Please allow me to cross post this article from another newsgroup to the comp.databses groups, I think the discussion is relevant to how a DBA works in UNIX/VMS environments and how it _might_ change with NT.

smarsh_at_vmark.co.uk (Simon Marsh) writes:

>This could also be done if you tried, but again it is hardly
>relevant unless you are porting a UNIX app. There are other ways
>of working than to use the UNIX ideas of 'group leaders' and
>'controlling tty's'.

>Contrary to popular myth the UNIX way is not the only way, and,
>in fact, other methods of doing things can actually be better.

>Simon
>(standard disclaimer applies)

You have a point there, not everybody will be coming from UNIX world to NT, also the hardware costs of an NT based corporate project will come down especially due to Intel PC platform.

Please explain if one has the following setup :

NT server running Oracle or SQL Server dbms NT workstations running client application written in XYZ and connecting to the server dbms through ODBC.

How does a DBA perform all the duties from any remote node sitting in the next room or from across the continent?

How does NT System administrator work from a remote node, (a) with NT workstation or (b) any other UNIX workstation / VMS workstation / dumb terminal / PC with Win3?

One solution I can think of is to use only NT workstations throughout the organization which will take care of some of the above requirements. Secondly, one would need all the client tools necessary for System/DB Administration on all the nodes if such flexibility is so desired. This can get not only expensive to buy but ultimately maintain as the server software goes through upgrade cycles.

Currently I am working on a project based on UNIX servers running Oracle dbms, and client nodes. There is no need for any Oracle software on the client nodes because the application has customized rpc service. I just open a terminal session to the server node from any node anywhere across the WAN or even from home, and perform all System/DB Administration functions.

Will some kind souls, using NT for such applications in a geographically distributed WAN, please post here or e-mail me about the best way to handle this, 'cause my project will be moved lock stock and barrel to NT in the very near future.

Thanks in advance.

Ajey Shahane                                            ashahane_at_netcom.com

Ajey Shahane                                            ashahane_at_netcom.com