Re: SQL*NET 2.0

From: Thomas L. Hillson <hillson_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 95 16:27:17 GMT

Kmchugh_at_ix.netcom.com (Kevin McHugh) wrote:
>In <3k4oph$ieg_at_booz.bah.com> Kevin Uher <uherk_at_bah.com> writes:
>

>>I'm tring to setup Oracle SQL*NET 2.0 to run from a network share
 drive. I'm
>>I think I'm just missing something small (INI or DLL??) I ran a grep on
 *.INI

One file that the install script of SQL*net V2 is vsl.ini in the windows directory. It contains information about the TCP/IP stack that you are using. Not sure if that is your problem, but its a start.

>We have been doing essentially the same thing at our site. The problem
>is that Oracle as well as many Windows apps writes DLL's into the
>windows directory on the client.

 The Oracle installation for SQL*NET V2 only copies the oracle.ini and vsl.ini into the windows directory. The rest stay in the Oracle_Home area. We were tired of having to go through the Oracle install for each new SQL*Net client so I set it up so that we only have to ftp a self extracting archive and unzip it and move 2 files into windows directory and it works correctly.

>installation that just points the orawin and oracle.ini files to a
>network drive. You might try to install the software on the client with
>the orawin directory set to a dummy network drive. This will not use the
>
> ... blah blah blah ...

Tom Hillson hillson_at_ll.mit.edu
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street         	Tel:  (617) 981 - 4377
Lexington, MA 02173		FAX:  (617) 981 - 0782