Re: Designer/2000 & Developer/2000

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 15:44:38 GMT

In article <D5Hnnx.Lyn_at_inter.NL.net> Rob.Zoeteweij_at_inter.nl.net (Rob Zoeteweij) writes:
>iains_at_aol.com (IainS) wrote:
>
>>Read an article in INFO WORLD, exactly what are these products and how do
>>they differ from CDE2 Case and CDE2 Tools. They say they will ship next
>>week - does this mean we will have CDE2 Case next week?
>

>>Help - we need clarification .....

>>Thanks
>>Iain
>
>The Designer/2000 & Developer/2000 are exactly the same products as
>the CDE2 CASE and CDE2 tools products. It's just a change of name.

Well, actually, ...

Designer/2000 is what was previously announced as CDE2 CASE and includes all the CASE functionality in one single, simple, easily priced, and easily acquired package. The product will be available on Windows 3.1 next month and the price is $3995 in the US (maximum of $4995 elsewhere in the world).

Developer/2000 is primarily what was previously announced as the CDE2 Tools, but without the 3GLs (Pro*3GL, OCI, SQL*Module), and with some additional functionality. Developer/2000's first release is available now. Again, this announcement creates one single, simple, easily priced, and easily acquired package. Shortly, new releases of Developer/2000 will be out with multi-byte language, Semitic language, multi-lingual translation, automated software distribution, and other capabilities, as well as more integration between the components of the product suite (i.e. the former Forms, Reports, Graphics, and Procedure Builder), better performance, computer-based training, and much much more. Mac and Motif (full use, also character mode deployment-only use) ports are also scheduled soon, but only Windows was announced.

Designer/2000 and Developer/2000 are available separately. Their prices on Windows 3.1 are in the US $3995, global price is $4995. There is no deployment charge on Windows 3.1 for Developer/2000 applications.

I hope this helps explain what we are up to.

The "why" of what we did was to make our products and strategy much easier to understand. Cooperative Development Environment, or CDE, was a very broad stroke for some people, and it included 24 products. It was often difficult to understand which products you needed or had. With Designer/2000 and Developer/2000 we have two very simple products that are priced competitively and are functionally far superior to anything else on the market. With second generation capabilities like drag-and-drop application partitioning, business process reengineering (BPR) support, life cycle integration (generation and reverse engineering), multi-lingual support, automated software distribution, openness, and more, it will be quite some time before the competition catches up. Meanwhile, you can take advantage of our functionality and we'll be pushing ahead increasing our lead.

Hope this helps ...

--
-- Dennis Moore, Oracle Corp.
dbmoore_at_oracle.com