Re: create database command and structure of databases

From: Eric Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu>
Date: 17 Mar 1995 20:33:26 GMT

febbo_at_madnix.uucp wrote:
: **************************************************************
: *
: * If you are saying that the internal structure of the Oracle
: * tables is too "forbidding" to mess around with, you might
: * as well forget it. I once thought MS-DOS was too complicated
: * to mess with. In this business, somebody messes with
: * every last little thing -- you'll see pocket calculators
: * programmed in Oracle to do Fourier series!
: * bye-for-now

Beunos Tardes febbo_at_madnix.uucp and other Netizens,

More like: you need to have the knowledge (or DBA oversight) to make sure that all those pesky little details (defaults like who has permissions, where the table is going to be created and with what storage parameters, normalization...) are right before getting down to the "real" work of doing input/report programs, creating procedures, etc.?

It seemed to me that the original post was a question about any similarities between using SQL tools to access a database engine and using a 3GL to access a flat file system, there are quite a few differences. It usually isn't possible to just start creating tables and coding an application without lots of research and/or training.

Having started with Oracle v4/Forms 1?/"UFI", I can say that things are a lot more complicated now with Oracle7 than they were in the "good old days", at least for a one man shop running an PC/LAN Oracle application.

There doesn't seem to be any explicit warning in the Oracle materials saying "This is an industrial strength solution, learn how to use it right or you might be sorry." Oracle7 is specifically being spoken of as an "Enterprise" database solution, and the soon to be released Oracle Power Objects (aka Project X) is supposed to fit into the PC/low-end area of the market.

More power to those messing with it,

EP Received on Fri Mar 17 1995 - 21:33:26 CET

Original text of this message