Re: [Q] ASCII file to read and write

From: Tony Bravo <tbrav_at_ctp.com>
Date: 16 Mar 1995 15:01:20 -0500

You can use SQL*Loader to load the ASCII file (assuming it is in one of the simple formats that SQL*Loader supports - e.g. "flat-file"). Otherwise you'll have to resort to a 3GL and the ORACLE precompilers or a possibly a 3rd party product.

To get the data out again, just use SQL*Plus and use commands likes set heading off, set space off, etc. Again this works for simple flat-file formats.

Tony Bravo
tbrav_at_ctp.com

"S. Guimont" <HS99_at_music.mus.polymtl.ca> writes:

>Hello!
> I have an ASCII file with many informations (name, prices,...)
>I have to read it, make request to update the database with that data.
>What is the simple way to do that???

> I have to make some get request and put the result in an ASCII file.
>How to write this information in a file???

> I use ORACLE 7.

>Thanks,
>Sylvie Guimont
>RDI

Tony Bravo <tbrav_at_ctp.com>             Cambridge Technology Partners, Inc.
                                  2361 Rosecrans Ave, El Segundo, CA 90245
                                       Tel: 310-297-3804 FAX: 310-297-3900