Re: Oracle/Solaris/Striping?

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 22:44:10 -0500

In article <3k3506$1u0_at_news.halcyon.com>, cdwf_at_kendaco.telebyte.com wrote:

> We are getting ready to move up to Oracle 7.1.4 and upgrade our Sun
 Solaris at the same time...

> We are also looking at using Solaris to 'stripe' the database to try to
 reduce our I/O congestion.
> Has anyone done this? Is anyone familiar with how Oracle handles the
 Solaris striping?

As one of the other posters said, Oracle doesn't care about whether you use OS level striping or not. However, YOU DO. We are running our stripes against 4 physical disks (1Gig per) to get our mount points, and mirroring them as well. The increase in throughput is quite noticeable. OTOH, you must be very sure to deploy your tablespaces in such a manner as to prevent overlap and IO contention, just as with single physical disks; this will prevent nullifying the advantages of the stripe. We store redo logs, data and index tablespaces on stripes; control files, scripts, and less used tablespaces (USERS, TOOLS) on simple volumes (also mirrored). Temp space tablespace MUST be on a stripe if you plan to do any sorting (who wouldn't?).

BTW, I love the Solaris 2.4/Oracle 7.1.4 combo! Let me know if I can help with any more info.

--
David Scott
...how can I keep from singing?