Re: Windows NT or PC as development platform

From: Patrick Hoepfner <hoepfner_at_haiti.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 00:26:46 -0500

In article <3k021g$q4l_at_everest.pinn.net>, John Jensen <jjensen_at_pinn.net> wrote:

> I am not familiar with SQL*forms, but we are currently developing
> on Windows NT. We are targeting the Win32s API to remain
> compatible with Windows 3.11 w/ Wind32s, Windows NT, and Windows
> 95 (or is it 96?).
>
> There is a lot of info available for Win32s on MS's Technet CD.

I am not an expert on Windows[, NT, 95, 96, etc] but InfoWorld just reported that Win32s was a bust. Even Microsoft reported that they *may* have over sold developers on Win32s. Using Win32s sacrifices a *lot* of speed.

The article suggests that application developers will ignore Win32s and develop for one or more of the flavors of Windows (with Win95 taking the biggest slice of the pie).

This is from memory since I don't have the article handy.

  • Pat --------------------------------------> hoepfner_at_haiti.gsfc.nasa.gov