Re: Pro C, Pro COBOL

From: Tony Bravo <tbrav_at_ctp.com>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 15:17:09 -0500

Hi David

Pro*C and Pro*Cobol are ORACLE's "pre-compiler" languages. They are "pre-compilers" because they "compile" embedded SQL statements into "true" C or COBOL code so that you can then use the normal C or COBOL compilers.

It's supposed to be simpler than using the low-level (function) call interface. A Pro*C source might look like this:

main ()
{
 EXEC BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
   employee_name CHAR[21];
 EXEC END DECLARE SECTION;  EXEC SQL SELECT ename INTO employee_name FROM EMP

          WHERE empid = 1234;

 printf ("\nName=%s", employee_name);
}

The PRO*C precompiler would convert the statements beginning with EXEC to C code so you can compile with a standard C compiler.

Tony Bravo
tbrav_at_ctp.com

David_at_davechur.demon.co.uk (David) writes:

>Could anyone inform me as to what these two languages are and how they
>relate to ORACLE database systems development. Also how do they differ from
>'c' and COBOL.

>Thanks

>david_at_davechur.demon.co.uk

>--
>David

Tony Bravo <tbrav_at_ctp.com>             Cambridge Technology Partners, Inc.
                                  2361 Rosecrans Ave, El Segundo, CA 90245
                                       Tel: 310-297-3804 FAX: 310-297-3900