Re: Ora 6->7.0 w/ SQLForms 3.0?

From: Mark Hessling <mark_at_snark.itc.gu.edu.au>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 02:06:51 GMT

alodder_at_luna.nl (Arie Lodder) writes:

>In article <3k2qld$7pe_at_clarknet.clark.net>, nardone_at_clark.net says...
>>

>>At work we need to migrate some old systems under Oracle 6.0
>>to 7.0 that use SQL Forms 3.0. We've already done some
>>6->7 upgrades, but none using Forms apps.
>>
>>Should Forms have any problems with the migration (not counting
>>things like hard-coded links and such in the application, which
>>we'll have to check)? I don't think there should be a problem
>>but nothing ever goes as smoothly as planned.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Joe

>To our experience there is no problem at all. It is advised
>to set the compatibility mode to V6 when you create your tables

>A. Lodder
>alooder_at_luna.nl

We have had major problems with dates. Going from 3.0.16.10 on Oracle6 to 3.0.16.12 on Oracle7, Oracle have changed ("fixed" in Oracle's terms) the way the century part of a date is handled when the user only enters in a two digit year.

Under 3.0.16.10, forms defaulted to the current century; under 3.0.16.12 forms sets the current century to 00. This breaks our forms that use a LOW_VALUE validation of $$date$$ to compare the date entered to the current date. (15-MAR-0095 is before the current date of 15-MAR-1995)

We have had to write ON-VALIDATE-FIELD triggers to do the same thing that has been broken.

Moral. No matter how insignificant a version number upgrade is, always be prepared for a significant amount of porting.

CHeers, Mark.

Mark Hessling                     Email: M.Hessling_at_gu.edu.au
DBA,ITS                           Phone: +617 875 7691 Fax: +617 875 5314
Griffith University               ********* PDCurses Maintainer **********
Nathan, QLD 4111                  ************ Author of THE *************
Australia                         ========== Member of RexxLA ============
              <http://www.gu.edu.au/gwis/the/markh.html>