Re: Pro-c, Pro-Cobol

From: Rich Baldwin <rwb_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:17:26 -0500

In article <795070652snz_at_davechur.demon.co.uk>, David_at_davechur.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Could anyone inform me as to what these two languages are and how they
> relate to ORACLE database systems development. Also how do they differ from
> 'c' and COBOL.
>
> Thanks
>
> david_at_davechur.demon.co.uk

Pro-C and Pro-Cobol are pre-compilers that generate legal C or Cobol code from C or Cobol code that contains embedded SQL statements. The pre-compiler takes the embedded SQL, which is usually in the following form: ...
exeqsql "select * from table_name where ... " ...

and replaces it with a series of legal C or Cobol procedure calls to an API supplied by Oracle.
The legal code can then be compiled by your favorite C or Cobol compiler.

Rich
rwb_at_mitre.org Received on Tue Mar 14 1995 - 15:17:26 CET

Original text of this message