Re: ORA-01578 oracle data block corrupted.

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 04:13:45 GMT

rmte_at_ix.netcom.com (rocky termanini) wrote:

> We have been running into the ORA-01578 (oracle data block corrupted)
> error on a regular basis. Most of the corruptions have been found in
> our indexes, though a few have been on tables.

This is NOT good news. It could, and probably does, mean that you have lost data. I hope your backups were good.

Oracle assues that the database is in good condition when it is started. It does not check each block of the database when it starts up. If some errent program or process alters the contents of an Oracle database file Oracel will not detect the error until it actually trys to read from, or writ to the damaged database block. There is a crc or some simular chcking built into each block header. If Oracel reads a database block and it fails you will get this error.

Check the status of your disks. You could be due for a disk failure or your file system could be curropted. If you recently restored the database from tape you could have had a bad restore or bad blocks on the tape. If you run a regular backup process check to make shure that it is not messing with your database files.

You can force Oracle to validate the status of your tables by SELECT * FROM all your tables. This will chase out any further errors that may be lurking there. Validat your indices.

Good Luck. Received on Tue Mar 14 1995 - 05:13:45 CET

Original text of this message