Re: create database command and structure of databases

From: Eric Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 01:35:16 GMT

Sandra Luz Aguilar Velazco (svaguila_at_mor.itesm.mx) wrote:

... text deleted ...

  • Forwarded message ---------- Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:55:16 -0800 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON_at_saclink1.csus.edu> To: sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown

550 mor.itesm.mx (tcp)... Host unknown
550 svaguila_at_mor.itesm.mx... Host unknown

From: Eric Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu> Return-Path: <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu> To: svaguila_at_mor.itesm.mx (Sandra Luz Aguilar Velazco) Subject: Re: create database command and structure of databases Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle

In article <3jo4cv$1sba_at_campus.mty.itesm.mx> you wrote:
: I am startig to work with Oracle v 6.0.3 (UNIX), but I have some problems...
:
: Can any body help me ???
:
: 1.- Can I create my own database and create inside of it the tables ?
: is it usually?.
:
: 2.- What is the structure the databases of Oracle and how Oracle manage
: it ?
:
:
: I want to have in one file all my data in order to have an external program
: to acces the data in Oracle.

Hi,

The Oracle architecture is very complex, you need to read the "Database Administrators Manual" for the concepts before doing any serious work.

Basically there are structures and permissions. The defaults are much simpler in Oracle v6 than Oracle7. If you have permission to create a table, it will go into a default tablespace unless you can specify otherwise. A UNIX system can contain one or more Oracle "instances" which can define a database consisting of one or more tablespaces, which can contain one or more tables!

The database files are defined to preallocate disk space before it is actually used to contain data.

Most people that have used Oracle would agree that it is almost a supplemental operating system within the operating system, so it is not easy to learn. There are usually about USA $10,000 of training classes that are required to learn Oracle as a programmer or Database Administrator.

The database "engine" software is needed to use an external program that accesses that database files.

What type of work are you doing with Oracle?

Good luck,

Eric D. Pierce
Database/Network Technician
California State University, Sacramento

my primary email account: PierceED_at_csus.edu

Habla poco espanol malo. Received on Tue Mar 14 1995 - 02:35:16 CET

Original text of this message