Re: Juke box software for ORACLE

From: Michael E Willett <mew_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:47:16 GMT

GM Shenoy at the National Stock Exchange of India writes:

>We need to use Juke-boxes with our HP-9000 system, for storage of
>ORACLE data. We use HP-UX 9.04 and ORACLE 7.0.16. Since we are
>working in stock exchange environment, we need to store old trade
>related data on these. Can anyone help on this.

With the rapidly dropping prices of magnetic disk storage, a lot of technical folks are concluding that it no longer makes much sense to invest limited budgets on optical storage. A recent study for the U.S. Coast Guard showed that optical and magnetic disk storage are now about comparably priced, while magnetic disk storage arrays are faster by order(s) of magnitude. The new RAID 7 accelerator architectures are particularly fast in this regard. We have a lot of technical whitepapers on this topic. Various stock exchanges are currently using RAID 7 architecture on different open systems, not just HP.

The other concern about optical storage has always been whether users will have equipment available 5-10-20 years from now that will be able to read optical platters. It's like trying to buy a BETA player today to play Beta (as opposed to VHS) videotapes.

Mike W.

Michael Willett, EE
Storage Computer Corp.
11 Riverside Street
Nashua, NH 03062
Tel. 603-880-3005

:::I/O-accelerated, very fast disk arrays for all SCSI systems to 1,000 GB:::