Re: Help: Forms 4.0 -> Reports 2.0 call is SLOW

From: Spencer H Moore <Spencer.H.Moore_at_tek.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 16:56:06 GMT

In article <Thomas.B.Cox.35.2F5F2FB1_at_tek.com> Thomas.B.Cox_at_tek.com (Thomas B Cox) writes:

>I'm having a problem that perhaps someone out there has dealt with before.

>On a 486 Windows box (24 mb RAM), running Forms 4.0.12 and Reports 2.0.13, I'm
>using a button on the form to issue a RUN_PRODUCT call that fires up Reports,
>passes in parameters from the screen I was just in, and brings up the report
>for the user to preview and optionally print.

>Problem is, this can take 20-40 seconds. I need it to take more like 5
>seconds, which is what the users are used to today (using a character mode
>QBasic app against ISAM files).

>Any ideas, experiences, etc. greatly welcomed. (Maybe we should use Visual
>Basic? C++ user exits? SQR or ReportSmith?) Thanks...

> -Tom

You might try the new CDE2 tools - Oracle Reports 2.5 includes a background report server that significantly speeds things up in this situation. What it does is eliminate the startup time of the reports runtime on all reports but the first one. The first report will still take a while to start, but all subsequent reports (as long as will start right away since the tool is already loaded. It also allows the user to kill reports in the queue that haven't run yet.

I haven't done any measurements yet to see what the memory usage hit is.

Spencer Moore
CDE2 Ambassador
Senior Consultant
ARIS Corporation Received on Mon Mar 13 1995 - 17:56:06 CET

Original text of this message