Re: Q: Machine generated keys

From: Tom Henderson <tom_at_safety.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:45:19 GMT

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950303084950.20086C-100000_at_seatimes>, Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com> says:

>On 2 Mar 1995, Steve wrote:
>> I have a requirement to find the next available value for a
>> machine generated primary key in a multi-user environment for a
>
>I let ORACLE generate the sequence numbers. Look at the CREATE SEQUENCE
>syntax. The application programmers can issue a SQL statement to get the
>value and ORACLE will ensure that only one user gets any particular value.

Or even try putting this in as a Before Insert Row trigger on the base table:

Declare

SqcValue	Number(8);

BEGIN
Select Sqc_Dept_Id.NextVal into SqcValue from Dual; :new.Dept_ID:=SqcValue;
END; In this case the trigger grabs the next sequence ID from the sequence Sqc_Dept_ID and drops it into the Dept_ID field before it generates the row... Works for me!

Tom
tom_at_safety.ucl.ac.uk - College Fire Officer and Office DBA & Systems Designer - I make the coffee too most days! Received on Mon Mar 13 1995 - 18:45:19 CET

Original text of this message