Re: Convert LONG to VARCHAR - HELP!!

From: Diane Johnston <ae522_at_cfn.cs.dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:31:08 GMT

Place Your Full Name Here (yourlogin_at_ra.isisnet.com) wrote:
: What I really needed to do was insert into a 'history' table from a current
: table (Version 7.0) and one of the fields is LONG and I get an illegal use of
: long data field. I think if I can convert the long field to varchar2, it will
: work. How do I convert ?

: Tried: Dump table to ascii, modify row definition, use sql loader to reload
: and change data type BUT when I dump to an ascii file (using: spool filename,
: select * from tablename, spool off) it only dumps the first 80 characters of
: thelong field to the file!!!! Any other solutions? Please post or email
: ae522_at_cfn.cs.dal.ca

Thanks to those who emailed me. Our DBA came up with a workable solution after I posted this. Export the table to ascii, drop the table, recreate with the LONG field now defined as varchar2(2000) and Import the table.

: Diane Johnston, City of Halifax, Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
: ae522_at_cfn.cs.dal.ca