Help: Forms 4.0 -> Reports 2.0 call is SLOW

From: Thomas B Cox <Thomas.B.Cox_at_tek.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 16:41:23 GMT

I'm having a problem that perhaps someone out there has dealt with before.

On a 486 Windows box (24 mb RAM), running Forms 4.0.12 and Reports 2.0.13, I'm using a button on the form to issue a RUN_PRODUCT call that fires up Reports, passes in parameters from the screen I was just in, and brings up the report for the user to preview and optionally print.

Problem is, this can take 20-40 seconds. I need it to take more like 5 seconds, which is what the users are used to today (using a character mode QBasic app against ISAM files).

I did get a partial solution for the non-preview case: if you call the report using RUN_PRODUCT and you set the BATCH and ASYNCHRONOUS flags, and the report's default destination is PRINTER (or FILE), we get about a 4 second lag where the cursor won't move, and then we can continue work. We just can't make another call to RUN_PRODUCT to run the report again until the last call completes, which in our case is about 15 seconds total.

Any ideas, experiences, etc. greatly welcomed. (Maybe we should use Visual Basic? C++ user exits? SQR or ReportSmith?) Thanks...

  -Tom Received on Thu Mar 09 1995 - 17:41:23 CET

Original text of this message