Re: Mystique: Locks, Constraints and Indexes

From: Pauli Salmu <vutuc_at_mn.medstroms.se>
Date: 9 Mar 1995 09:19:12 GMT

Pauli Salmu <p.salmu_at_mn.medstroms.se> wrote:

> We were getting strange deadlocks in our production DB and finally
> happened to discover that they had something to do with constraints.
> Then we got some help from the local Oracle representatives who said
> that you probably must index every column that has a foreign key
> constraint...

I stand corrected. This behaviour is described in Application Developer's Guide on page 6-10. The fun part is that by the time I posted my query our DBA and just about everyone else had already heard about it but not told me. Nice to be made to seem like an illiterate fool (no matter if you are or not...). The question still remains: _why_ does it behave so? Received on Thu Mar 09 1995 - 10:19:12 CET

Original text of this message