Re: Gotchas Going from 7.0.16 to 7.1.4.1.0

From: Bill Stock <stockb_at_swlogica.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 19:12:46 +0000

In article <dewing.36.000B767C_at_gasou.edu> dewing_at_gasou.edu "David Ewing" writes:

> I am currently running 7.0.16 on Aix 3.2.5 with two IBM Rs6000's, a 55L and
> a 590H. I would like to update to 7.1.4 over the spring break. Could some
> kind soul tell me the undocumented errors and work-a-rounds that I will
> encounter installing from a CD. I have heard the install scripts do not work.
> Thanks in advance.

I've just upgraded from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4.

The install scripts for 7.1.4 are OK for CD ROM installs. The 7.1.3 ones needed debugging before they would work. You just need to be patient and get the permissions right for the CD mount point.

The main things to look out for seem to be.

  1. PL/SQL will not install properly if you don't install Pro C 2.0. Something to do with SLAX which only comes with Pro C 2.0 not 1.6 or 1.5.
  2. You need to install Oracle Reports on AIX as a client. I installed AIX Reports 2.0.13 into Oracle Home as per the manual. This however over-writes the libraries with a set which are incompatible with the 7.1.4. Server. Oracle Reports AIX is not certified against 7.1.4 of the server.
  3. You also need to enable remote OPS$ type logins in the init.ora, even for non remote users, I don't know why this is, but without it none of my users with OPS$ logins could get into the system.
  4. See notes on sqlplus helpins elsewhere in this news group.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head but these were all great value entertainment.

My collegue here thinks that my postings are too long because I did a stupid arty type degree. I think his are too short because he did business and can't communicate properly.

Any thoughts?

Bill Stock               These opinions are my own and not
                         those of Speedwing Logica.