Frustrated testing Oracle/Workgroup - NT

From: David M. Witten II <migdavid_at_muccmail.missouri.edu>
Date: 9 Mar 95 06:38:06 GMT

I have installed the Oracle for Workgroups/NT 90day trial package on an NT - Server 3.5 machine. I did this by running the setup utilities provided on the CD I requested from Oracle. I have read every read.me, .DOC, .txt file in either the client or the server components of the package. The server and the listener start up with no indication of difficulty. But I cannot connect to the server - either locally or remotely.

I have NT's services running, which I understand is the named pipes service provider. There is no indication of what is wrong. The documentation on Named Pipes is sparce in the extreme. I have never used this protocol in the past and do not even have a clue. Does it require the use of the Netbeui protocol (gag!)? My network bindings indicate that it is bound to both the TCP and IPX protocols I am running. I am not at all clear about what the connect string should look like.

I am also using Oracle on UnixWare 1.1. It is a nightmare to install. I saw a message indicating that the 7.1.4 version for this platform is buggy. I have 7.1.4.1.0. Is this bad as well? There definitely is one crucial package (oraconf) that is corrupted on my CD. While we have purchased support under our site licsence, our campus computing people have not decided who it is that should be allowed to make the call! Therefore - no support, nothing works, and I am extremely frustrated.

David Witten
Medical Informatics Group
University of Missouri, Columbia
migdavid_at_muccmail.missouri.edu Received on Thu Mar 09 1995 - 07:38:06 CET

Original text of this message