Re: Using Oracle/Sybase/Informix/Progress DB via Access

From: <knight_at_gagme.wwa.com>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 14:47:24 -0600

My 2E-02:

I wonder if the first (smaller?) table is viewed by Access as "Ok, I can handle bringing in a bunch of data from this one.... awright ODBC, go go go!", whereas, with the second one it is more like "Shit, too much garbage here, let's just get a little bit". Therefore you get timeout on the first one. You're lucky that you can import the sucker at all. I used to have the same type of problem; only I couldn't import it either. Even if I set the ODBC timeout to a ridiculously high value, it would still mess up.

My solution was to split tables up. I didn't have the time to mess around with tech support etc.

Yep, ODBC is a pain in the ass.

Knight

In article <3j7cl4$6di_at_news.u.washington.edu>, Bruce Alexander <balexand_at_cac.washington.edu> wrote:

>We are experimenting with running MS Access 2.0 on WFWG 3.11 over TCP/IP-32 against Sybase v 10.x which is running on RS/6000 using AIX 3.2.5. The DB layer is the MS db library 4.21.0, instead of the Sybase net library product.
>
>I was able to import very large files and attach to very large files. If you attach, MS Access recognizes and tries to support the Sybase indexes & key structures; but if you import the file Access discards all but the primary key info (which is a good
 thing, as I'll explain).

>The only real problem I've seen is something I am surmising from the behavior of Access when I attach to a large table with a complex index structure. Maybe someone else out there can help explain this.
>
>When I attach to a table with 22,000 rows and 18 columns I attach perfectly, but I can't read the data. I can attach and view the database/index structures; but when I execute a query or try to open the table I get an SQL_LOGIN_TIMEUOT error and no data
 (at least that's what ODBC Spy says). Basically, I end up getting nowhere with this table unless I import. That's not a solution, as the whole objective here is to leave the data on the server.

>However, when I attach to a 88,000 row table with 45 columns I can query and open perfectly. This table has only one index and a simple key.
>
>I've been in computing long enough to know that you can't diagnose all problems by appearances, but this looks like a pretty strong case of index overload. Does anyone know of anything that I could look at to fix this? I'm a level 2 MSDN user, so I've
already scanned the Kbase for this problem with no luck. Received on Wed Mar 08 1995 - 21:47:24 CET

Original text of this message