Screen Printing - Simple, Right? (HELP!) - plane [1/1]

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 18:49:35 GMT

I'm trying to let the user select the desired printer when doing a screen print. I have found out that Forms 3 (on Solaris at least) directs the output via lp. Solution: create your own lp command earlier in the path. I can now print to any queue I like. PROBLEM. I use the whole screen to prompt users for queue choice. Oracle refreshes only pop-up window (thanks, guys!). CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO POPULATE THE TYPE-AHEAD BUFFER? That would allow me to send the refresh keystroke back to Oracle from the shell script.

Second alternative. I have preset LPDEST for the user. Then from a menu I invoke a script changing LPDEST (& export it). Now the user can change printers before screen printing, right? WRONG. The variable remains unchanged in the application. The HOST command seems very good at creating a shell and I cannot change the variable permanently (ie in the Sql*Forms application), even by invoking the script via ". progname" .

Any ideas?? I'm running out (& I don't like giving up!).

All comments appreciated.

Thanks. Brian.

--
  Brian Graham                     .