Re: Tablespace on CD-Rom?

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 17:58:58 -0600

In article <Henry_okeeffe.42.000F4ADC_at_inmarsat.org>, Henry O' Keeffe <Henry_okeeffe_at_inmarsat.org> wrote:
>In article <3j2g2v$d0h_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> lmcg_at_aol.com (LMcG) writes:
>>From: lmcg_at_aol.com (LMcG)
>>Subject: Tablespace on CD-Rom?
>>Date: 1 Mar 1995 13:57:35 -0500
>

>>Hi,
>>We have a large data warehouse approx 12G that users want to be kept
>>online, but we are very short of diskspace. A consultant mentioned
>>creating a tablespace on CD-ROM that Oracle thinks is just on another
>>drive, and put the older information on CD. We are running 7.0.16 (soon
>>upgrading to 7.1.40, on an IBM RS6000 running AIX. Has anyone else done
>>this? Any information on setting this up would be greatly apprectiated.
>
>I'd be surprised if you could do this, as Oracle writes a sequence number to
>each datafile at intervals. If it can't do this, it get veeeeery upset.

What your consultant was talking about was a Read-Only tablespace. This is new in V7. One nice thing about this is you only have to backup the tablespace once (in this case, probably another CD-ROM).

Vince

--
* disclaimer - My views respresent NT/BNR in every way, NOT!
* Please direct non-business email to VLCross_at_aol.com  (No, I'm not an idiot