Re: Personal Oracle 7/Reports 2.0 install problems

From: Allan Dong <adong_at_galaxy.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 7 Mar 95 20:57:38 PST

In article <1995Mar2.163906.25272_at_lafn.org>, aj583_at_lafn.org (Stephen Newhouse) says:

>We ve been installing Personal Oracle 7.1 on a number of PCs and have had
>lots of troubles either with the installation or with integrating this
>new database with our other network instances or Oracle Reports 2.0 for
>windows.
>...rest of text deleted...

I too have experienced similar problems - enough so that I have given up! I haven't been able to get pass the ORACLE7 startup.

After installing WIN32S from the CD, running SQL*DBA and SQL*PLUS gave me something like:

	DBA-314 unable to attach to default host.
	ORA-03121 no interfacce driver connected - function not performed.

I too noticed that the \ORAWIN\RDBMS70\TRACE\BUILD.LOG had reported connect errors. I also got the same errors when I tried to run the INSTALL2.SQL script.

I then installed a newer version of WIN32S (dated 1-Sep-94). This time FREECELL worked - it didn't with the ORACLE WIN32S. I got very ugly errors starting up ORACLE7:

	WIN32S Error ORACLE7.EXE
	WIN32S - Unhandled exception Code 0xC0000005 - ORACLE71.EXE:1CD004
	Application will be terminated (this reboots the system)

Replacing QEMM with EMM386 didn't make any difference either. Perhaps my 16 MB of RAM is a factor but the local ORACLE tech assured me that it should at least startup.

Arrgggggg!! I guest that's what the "PRE PRODUCTION EVALUATION COPY" meant and why "This software is unsupported by Oracle" appears on the CD :-( Received on Wed Mar 08 1995 - 05:57:38 CET

Original text of this message