Re: Q: Column Level Security

From: Jonathan Wayne Ingram <jwingram_at_whale.st.usm.edu>
Date: 7 Mar 1995 15:42:15 GMT

jpadilla_at_epix.net wrote:

: Hola!

: I am working in a application in which we need to be able to enforce column
: level security dynamically. What I mean by dynamically is that we will be
: having a pool of modules that we need to assign to users depending on the
: user position, etc. The problem we have is due to the use of ODBC in some
: of our clients. We need to be able to restrict in some way access to the server
: or allow users to see just a selected information in the database. We need
: this because of some business rules that are enforced with our application.

: One ideas was:
: Create roles with the specific privileges in the tables and using SET ROLE,
: select the role specific to our application. The problem with this is that the
: role is granted to the user, so he can activate the role manually and
: have access to the tables.

This is only true if your users have the prvileges necessary to grant roles to themselves and others. But why should all your users have this privilege? At most, only a few or even just the database administrator should be able to do this.

: Any others?

: Thanks,
: Juan

Jonathan
jwingram_at_whale.st.usm.edu Received on Tue Mar 07 1995 - 16:42:15 CET

Original text of this message