Re: Newbie Oracle Forms 4.0 question about when to validate input items

From: Michael Pantaleano <mike.pantaleano_at_ab.com>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 13:11:51 GMT

R.J.Tinker writes:
> On the form, there is a field corresponding to this column (CARD_NUMBER). I
> want to validate the field if the user types in an incorrect card number (i.e
> one less than 1). I have done this by setting up a POST-TEXT-ITEM trigger
> that causes an alert box to display when the user moves the input focus
> out of the field after inputting an incorrect value. The trouble is, after
> clicking O.K. on the alert, the input focus stays at its new position and the
> incorrect value is left in the CARD_NUMBER item.

You might want to make sure (with your Forms Processing Manual) that the POST- -ITEM trigger is the one you want, but all you need to do to get your setup to work is after you call the alert raise the FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE exception. Look in your Oracle Forms User's Guide for it. This should keep the input focus in the invalid field.
I'm a newbie (1 year old Forms developer) and I had your same problem, and other work arounds (before I was told how to do it) took about 2 days worth of work! Now I use it everywhere.

MJP
mike.pantaleano_at_ab.com
All opinions expressed above are mine and if my company would ever find out, I'll deny everything. Received on Mon Mar 06 1995 - 14:11:51 CET

Original text of this message