Re: PICK -> ORACLE migration

From: Paul Beardsell <psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 13:47:03 +0000

In article <D4tDp4.4K_at_carmen.logica.co.uk>

           bradleyp_at_uksh.logica.com "paul bradley" writes:

> i need to transfer records from a pick database running on
> a GA Sanderson Zebra 2820 to oracle 7 running on a sparcserver.
>
> given i have no knowledge of pick, can anyone please suggest the
> most painless way of doing this and any problems they might have
> encountered doing this themselves.
>
> any help would be gratefully received, thanks in advance
>
> paulb

There are two problems here. Firstly the Pick data is likely not to be normalised in a form directly usable by Oracle. Second is the problem of transferring the data from the Pick machine to that running Oracle. I suggest the following approach:

Get a Pick programmer to produce the data in 1st normal form by producing ACCESS/ENGLISH reports using the BY-EXP keyword. These reports can be written to tape and the tapes can be read by SQL*Loader.

It would help if you can find someone to do or advise on the whole job. Consider my commercial to have been inserted here. :-)

Regards,

--
Paul Beardsell                          SAM Business Systems Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                          21 Finn House, Bevenden St,