Re: Why does Pro*C suck so bad?????

From: Kim Kelln <kim_at_atsi.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 07:04:33 GMT

Bob Petrocelli (rrp_at_cfm.brown.edu ) writes:

>> To my dismay after installing Pro*C and compiling the sample
>> programs I discovered the following:
>>
>> After several calls on the resulting TAR I am told that Pro*C has
>> only been tested using CC version 9.34 (and on only an HP 9000/800).
>>
>> The current version of the CC compiler is 9.7!
>>
>> I am now desperate to get hold of HP C Compiler 9.34. User
>> support had the audacity to tell me that I should get HP to
>> FIX THE PROBLEM (which is clearly with the Oracle product) HA!

We have had great success with gcc. Officially and, I guess, unofficially as well, this is an unsupported compiler. However, it works just fine under Solaris, SunOS and HP-UX (HP9000/835). The price is also right, of course. Our biggest concern about gcc was very old code that wasn't ANSI compliant. A little tweaking here and there was all that was needed. One other thing that's advantageous about using gcc is that the compiler options are the same on every machine and that your pretty much guaranteed that something that works on one machine will work on another, keeping in mind that Oracle sometimes throughs a monkey wrench into things.

Kim Kelln, M.Sc., P.Eng.                  Phone: 403.266.9419
Applied Terravision Systems Inc.            Fax: 403.265.6136
Calgary, Alberta, Canada                  email: kim_at_atsi.com