Re: Query brings system dowh, needs help

From: Eric Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu>
Date: 2 Mar 1995 23:35:37 GMT

Steve Edelstein (74160.645_at_CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Neither of these queries have a usable WHERE clause. Neither, as

I don't know (or care?) why, but in actual use on our small netware Oracle7.0 production application tables my previously posted suggestion (outer join+not null) is quite a bit faster (takes 30-45 seconds) than the "not in" query (takes 15-30 minutes)!

: far as I know, will use an index. Both will do full table scans
: (YUCH!!!). If you need to, put in a dummy where clause (like ID >
: 0). ...

Steve, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

Does it matter which table ID is referenced? Or the location of the "ID>0" in the clause?

: --
: Steve Edelstein VOICE: 212-956-3670
: Relational Business Systems CompuServe: 74160,645
: 124 West 60th Street Suite 47C Author of
: New York, NY 10023 "Learning Oracle Forms"

I also have been confused about outer joins using concatenated keys (another bad design?), has the syntax and functionality changed from Oracle v5/6 to Oracle7?

I can post a specific example of code if my question is too general.

Thanks for the tutorial, have a good day!

Eric D. Pierce, Ph.Dirt
Data Janitor
CSUS Received on Fri Mar 03 1995 - 00:35:37 CET

Original text of this message