Re: SQL*Net

From: GAG <ggilchr_at_worldweb.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 04:05:11 GMT

In article <D4sEs2.18o_at_freenet.carleton.ca>, ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Doug Harris) says:

> Setting up a MultiProtocol Interchange (SQL*Net V2 feature) would
>make things a lot easier. (But I think MPI is extra $$).
>
>In a previous posting, Bill Holmes (bill.holmes_at_gsa.gov) writes:
>> We have clients that want to access data in a remote Oracle7 DB on a Unix box that runs
>> SQL*Net TCP/IP. The clients are connected to a local Oracle7 Server for NetWare.
>> Clients and local server run SPX/IPX. If these clients wanted to retrieve their data through
>> a database link from local server to remote server, what SQL*Net drivers need to run on the clients
>> and on the local server and the remote server? Could it work if SQL*Net TCP/IP for NetWare were
>> running on the local NetWare DB server box in addition to SQL*Net SPX/IPX for NetWare and the
>> remote DB server runs SQL*Net TCP/IP so that a database link could be created on the local
>> server using e.g ' create public database link linkname connect to scott identified by tiger using
>> 'T:remotelistenername';?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>

>--
> - Doug Harris
> Database Administrator, System Development Division,
> Statistics Canada. ## WHERE ALL_OPINIONS.OWNER = USER ##
Bill

exactly. On the NETWARE server run your Oracle7 DB, SQL*NET SPX, and SQL*NET TCP. On the unix box run Oracle7, SQL*NET TCP. On the NETWARE DB create your links over TCP...t:remotelistenername:SID (v1) or tnsname (v2).

I've done this many times ... works great ( with some exceptions ! ha ha )

The MultiProtocol Interchange interchange is a good option also ...

TCP/IP NLMs ship with Novell by the way ....

Regards
GAG Received on Fri Mar 03 1995 - 05:05:11 CET

Original text of this message