Re: Wanted: info on "Oracle GIS" ???

From: Mr Angus Beare <ucfaabe_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 16:38:36 GMT

andrew_at_ccc.govt.nz writes:

>Hi folks,

>Last week I posted the following to comp.infosystems.gis:

>: Just out of idle curiosity, is anyone out there working on a
>: corporate-type GIS system where *all* the data ( spatial and aspatial
>: ) is held in an industry-standard RDBMS ( e.g. Oracle ) and is
>: accessed through a MS Windows front-end via *standard* database
>: connectivity tools ( e.g. ODBC ) ????

>and got the following reply:

>> From my (old) information, Oracle itself is developing some or all of
>> what you want at their Ottawa research site ...

>Does anyone out there know anything about this ? Anyone from Oracle
>prepared to comment ?

>Cheers, Andrew.

Paragon Software have been developing a shareware GIS that's based in MS WIndows env. It is very comprehensive and has full BASIC language and ODBC support.

They are looking for poeple to help in testing, to see it its a worthwhile project. I gather its composed of 40,000 + lines of C++ and is very comprehensive in functionality. It should be possible to use an Oracle DB.

This software will be available for around $100 if it goes into production.

contact: Rob Englander
Paragon Software Inc.
paragon_at_li.net