Re: Oracle7 Workgroup server for NetWare

From: Timothy Wong <roadgoat_at_crl.com>
Date: 1 Mar 1995 19:50:13 -0800

Fangzhi (Francis) Li (fli_at_neptune.cs.uml.edu) wrote:

: Hi there

: I am new to the Oracle world. Please bear my question. I just got the
: free Oracle 7 Workgroup server for Netware, After I installed the server on
: Netware 3.12 and Windows client, I got several questions, Could you give me
: some quick answers?

: 1. What 's the default account and passwd for system database, before
: I create user database. I use "Database manager" utility on Windows to check
: the status of Database server. It shows server is running. I try to use
: "sys" and "system" to login the database, but I could not do it.

The default password for the user SYSTEM is MANAGER. The GUI utility also uses the password MANAGER. Or you can simply add a NetWare user to the group ORA*DBA - login to NetWare and run the Database MAnager from a Windows client

: 2. What's difference between SQL*Net 1.1 and SQL*Net 2.1?
: so far I used SQL*Net SPX 1.1 on server and client side.

Sql*Net 1 is protocol specific. Meaning that you have to have a specific SQL Net 1 driver to talk to each server on your LAN. Say you have 2 Oracle7 servers, one on a TCP/IP box and your WGS (SPX/IPX) you need to have SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQl Net SPX/IPX loaded on a workstation in order to connect to both servers . Sql Net 2 is protocol independent - it uses a router (part of the product) so all client workstaions have SQL*Net 2 loaded and the driver talks to the router and get you to the appropriate server. Generally, SQL Net 1 is faster than Sql Net 2, today. But that is changing. If you are in a NetWare only LAN - I recommend sticking with SQL Net 1 for SPX/IPX.

: 3. How does Powerbuilder configured to connect to Database server on
: Netware.

PowerBuilder Enterprise can connect to Oracle via ODBC or a native driver. PB has a connection dialog box that will ask you to specify three parameters - connect string, user name, and password. The connect string is the oracle server name. Say you installed WGS on your NetWare server called "Homer" - if you used the standard WGS install, the WGS instance of Oracle is named "Homer-spx". Your connect string is "x:Homer-spx". Don't use the " characters. PB than lets you pick from the available tables for the user you logged into . . . Godd luck.

--
Tim Wong
roadgoat_at_crl.com