Re: Oracle, Sybase in NT

From: Jon Machtynger <jonm_at_nessie.be.ingres.com>
Date: 28 Feb 1995 16:09:07 GMT

Tony,

: Jon
: Are you SERIOUS??? Especially you from Ingres. Would you like to tell the
: world how many developers from the ASK era not the Ingres era left Ingres?

Oh pleeeaase.. Hasn't this subject been thrashed to death??? I'm not talking about CA's policies or which developers stayed or left or how many new ones are here or what did or didn't happen. How is it that you think you know what happened? How long have you been with ingres? How many developers did you speak to about why they left. How many developers are you now speaking to who have stayed? Speaking from the comfort of your Aussie armchair I can't see how you even pretend to know what happened or the emotional turmoil it raised.

There is a nice saying I heard recently that goes along the lines of:

"It is always difficult to understand someone who's voice is being muffled by their pants leg.."

And I think yours is a prime example...

: Didn't CA ask all staff via a questionair about their thoughts and feelings
: on CA taking over ASK. Not only were the ones that said they were thinking
: of leaving but also those that said they were not too happy were asked to
: resign. And didn't CA then asked some of these staff to stay on when
: they found out 4/5 wer leaving? I personally won't even put my phone contact
: database on Ingres.

My original mail had nothing to do with the takeover. I was talking about the Ingres 'product'. It is an excellant database and has despite your myopic opinions has a good future. I at no stage debased either the Oracle database or the Sybase database as they also have their pro's. The subject matter was relating to a database product to use under NT. I did also give from memory an example where Ingres won out over Sybase/Oracle. This was the whole context of the mail.

: Sorry if I appear to be stabbing you in the back but really, Ingres :-).

It's always sad to see such an insincere display of politeness. The little smiley at the end does not make it funny nor netiquette ofay. Your email contains no new information that wasn't already saturating newsgroups in Jul/Aug Last year.. so I fail to see why you have to make a painfully ignorent attempt at wasting bandwidth...

If you want a more thorough understanding of what happened then and is currently happening I would be more than happy to receive your email personally. If you want to drag it out in front of others you may give Melbourne a worse reputation than it already has.

: _____ ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
: /_ _ /_ __ / |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)
: /(_)/ )(_/ \_/(///(/_)/_( |CIS: 100250.2003_at_compuserve.com FAX: +61-3-2536173
: \_______/ |Email:TJambu_at_wizard.com.au PHONE: +61-3-2536385

Jon

--
#include <disclaimer.h>