Multiple Instances, or one big one...

From: <stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 28 Feb 1995 18:55:28 GMT

O.K. Please help settle a debate...

Currently we have two Oracle Instances, one for development and one for production (and ocasionally we'll add a test instance when we're doing kernel upgrades).

This has been a source of debate since several of our developers want their application to have its own instance (they site the ability to tune the database separately and the ability to bring it up and down at will as the reason).

I'd prefer to stick with the current configuration since it minimizes the memory and process overhead (and make less work for me, the DBA, as well as the folks in operations).

But what do you'all think? What are the pros and cons of either configuration.

P.S. We are currently using Oracle 7.0.15.4 on VAX.VMS 5.5-2. We will be moving our software to an Hp9000/T500 with two processors and plan to implement the parallel server option at that time. Does this change make any difference in regards to the above issue?

Your thoughts, preferences, are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

                                        judie Received on Tue Feb 28 1995 - 19:55:28 CET

Original text of this message