Re: How do you create 2 dbs on the same machine

From: Dave Crowson <dcrowson_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 13:10:21

In article <1995Feb23.090820.650_at_cho006> little_c_at_cho006.cho.ge.com (Chris Little) writes:
>Why is it safer to create the database by script rather than through
>the standard installation scripts that come with Oracle? I've created a
>number of instances on the same machine using the
>$ORACLE_HOME/orainst/orainst script, each time specifying a different
>ORACLE_SID. This has worked fine for me. If I'm overlooking something,
>please let me know. Thanks.

Because that script is for installing the Oracle executables, not for instance creation.

Why re-install the execuatbles every time you want to add an instance, it's a dumb and pointless exercise.

Oracle don't provide one, so you have to write one.

All you need is a script that does the create database/tablespace/rollback segs etc statements.

David Crowson                        Oracle Consultant (since '83)
igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk             weirdguy_at_cix.compulink.co.uk
'Hit them in the Face, with a Funky Bass, for a Happy Smiling Race' Received on Mon Feb 27 1995 - 13:10:21 CET

Original text of this message