Re: Platform Capacity (486/Pentium)?

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tam2000.tamu.edu>
Date: 25 Feb 1995 08:08:22 GMT

In article <3iltfo$t5k_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Stowe <stowe_at_aol.com> wrote:
>> We currently use Novell, but would consider other operating
>> systems. Our current platform is a Compaq Pro/XL 486 with 96MB of
>> memory. We now have 45 users with acceptable performance. Can this
>> platform support double this number?
>
>Yes. For better performance, increase your RAM and SGA sizes, but N.B.
>that for that hardware, Novell will run faster than any other operating
>system
>that will run on it.
I would also seriously look at a faster disk array like RAID cuz the system bottleneck is going to be there. I would also look at a better network like upgrading to FDDI though it would be more costly. No amount of RAM is going to solve a slow disk problem or network latencies. Just my $0.02. You could also look at SCO Unix though I am not sure whether it can support 90+ users.
Just my $0.02
Mahesh
M.S.in E.E.
TAMU
409 862 1070. Received on Sat Feb 25 1995 - 09:08:22 CET

Original text of this message