Re: Pinning Packages in the Shared Pool

From: Stephen Lappin <SL_at_rtel.demon.co.uk>
Date: 23 Feb 95 14:02:46 GMT

In article <3igiv4$30l_at_newsserver.trl.OZ.AU>

           TCook_at_vtrlmel1.trl.oz.au "Tony Cook" writes:

> Has anyone successfully pinned a package into the shared pool ?
>
> It is mentioned briefly in the documentation, but does not outline how to do it.> I did find the dbms_shared_pool package supplied by Oracle though.
> (Very little documentation on this)
> It has a procedure called "keep" that should do the job but I cannot get it to
> work.

 ..

> Thanks
> Tony Cook

You have to grant execute to PUBLIC before you pin any packages. After successfully issuing the PIN command, you need to either recompile or execute the packages to bring them into memory. Then revoke execute privilege from PUBLIC. You should do all this immediately after startup.

--
Stephen Lappin

+-----------------+  Scotland U.K.          Fax: +44 (0)141 331 2509