Re: VMS vs OSF71 on Alpha -- The official story?

From: Lisa Roderick <lisa.roderick_at_mko.mts.dec.com>
Date: 23 Feb 95 21:38:04 GMT

In article <3i7vlq$rs8_at_scsing.switch.ch>, MHEJTMANEK_at_clients.switch.ch says...

>Does anyone know any "official" performance stats for VMS vs OSF/1 on
>the same Alpha AXP (w/same disks ...etc) for Oracle 7. I have been asked to
>argue for OSF/1 as the OS for a multi site company. I have lots of practical
>reasons for using OSF/1, but this these guys are all strictly VMSers and
>are reluctant to change. So I need some facts.
>
>One of the main things being held against me
>is that Alpha AXP & OSF/1 & DecNet-TCP/IP does not support true clustering
>(CU), but I dunno. Any info would be helpful --stats, feelings, whatever.

Michael, it's true that today DEC OSF/1 doesn't have clustering. Today. The engineering groups for DEC OSF/1 clusters and Oracle Parallel Server are working closely to deliver a set of quality products. DEC OSF/1 clusters use the memory channel technology from Encore Technology, and we anticipate leadership performance.

Performance of Oracle on OpenVMS is quite good. For Oracle Applications, it's within 10% of DEC OSF/1 performance. As for data recovery and failover technologies, OpenVMS has been delivering this for years. Also, since the users are already well-versed in OpenVMS, UNIX is a hard sell.

As for hard facts, I'll send you the industry-standard benchmark reports for DEC OSF/1 and OpenVMS on Alpha platforms. You'll be able to see how well the operating systems perform on artifical benchmarks.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group