Re: renaming the system tablespace datafile

From: C.J. Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 23 Feb 1995 11:39:33 GMT

stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu (R Glenn Stauffer) wrote:

> mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com writes:
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > sql>alter tablespace System offline;
> > sql>alter tablespace System
> > rename datafile 'drive:\path\OldDataFile.dbf' to 'drive:\path\'NewDataFile.dbf'
> >
> > after you have done the alter TS command you will have to rename/copy the file
> > using your standard operating system commands to match the drive,path and
> > filename used in the above statement. Finally, you will have to alter your
> > tablespace to bring it back on-line.
> >

> Unfortunately, although the Oracle documentation says that the SYSTEM
> tablespace datafile can be movde, this method does not work since the
> SYSTEM tablespace cannot be taken offline. I have been told that the only
> viable option is to create a new database instance with the file where I
> want it and then to import a full database export of the original database.
>
> That will work. Wish there was a better way - I am thankful that I am
> intending to move the system tablespace to clean up the directory structure
> and not because I need to get it on a different drive.

This is wrong. The files which make up the system tablespace can easily be moved. I have done it. Method: Shut down - use O/S utility to move the files - STARTUP MOUNT - ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE ... - ALTER DATABASE OPEN. While the database is mounted but not open the system tablespace files are not in use an can be renamed.. Received on Thu Feb 23 1995 - 12:39:33 CET

Original text of this message